Baba Raghav Das, popularly known as ‘Gandhi of Poorvanchal’, was born in a rich Brahman family on 12 December 1896 at Pune, Maharastra. He played a great role in the political, social, economic, and the cultural activities of the nation. After his education he left Mumbai in 1913 in search of a siddh guru and reached Kashi. After that he went to Ghazipur, where he met ‘Mauni baba’ and learned Hindi. Later he met ‘YogirajAnantMahaprabhu’ and accepted him as his guru. In 1921, Mahatma Gandhi visited Gorakhpur. Baba met Gandhiji and since then he continuously worked for independence and served the oppressed people. He was imprisoned for the first time in 1921. Baba accompanied Gandhiji during Dandi March and sincerely involved himself in the freedom struggle.
During the independence movement, he was imprisoned many times. After freedom, he preferred to serve people rather than be in the government. However, due to the strong insistence of some of the top leaders of India, he contested in the elections and was elected MLA in 1948. After that he continued to work for the people. During 1947 to 1957 he dedicated himself to various welfare activities. He took an active part in the ‘Bhu-dan’ movement started by BinobaBhave. He started educational institutes in Deoria, Barhaj and Kushinagar. Imparting education, maintaining hygiene and public health care were his main priorities. The leprosy home and degree college started by Babaji in Barhaj are examples of his devotion to academic and health care systems. This noble saint and philosopher left for his heavenly abode on January 15, 1958.
It was like a dream come true for citizens of Eastern part of Uttar Pradesh state, that is Purvanchal, when the first seed of inception of this medical college was sown in November of 1969. Its foundation stone was laid by the then Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Late Shri Chandra Bhanu Gupta. It was named after a devoted freedom fighter Baba Raghav Das who was a prominent Sarvoday Leader of this area and close associate of Mahatma Gandhi and Acharya Vinoba Bhave. Initially the teaching started in government polytechnic and later shifted to college and hospital buildings under the dynamic leadership of Prof P.L. Shukla as first principal of this college. First batch of MBBS students was admitted on 7th August 1972. Since then this college has grown and now runs post graduate courses in various specialties.
BRD medical college includes Administrative Block, Central Library, Examination Hall, Auditorium, Lecture Theatres and various departments of non clinical and para clinical subjects of medical education, etc. It forms the base for medical career of future doctors and provides research backup in basic medical sciences.
Infrastructure: The total area of BRD Medical College campus is 147.6 acres, and total constructed area is more than 12,000 sq.mts.