Calcutta National Medical College is the new name of the Calcutta National Medical Institute (Estd 1948) which was established bu the amalgamation of National medical institute (Estd 1921) and Calcutta medical institute (Estd 1907) at 32 Gorachand Road, Calcutta-14.
Now the College and hospital is under the Department of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of West Bengal since 1967.
Founder Principle of the college was Dr Sundari Mohan Das.
Dr. Sundari Mohan Das was the Founder Principle of the college. He was born in Sylhet on 17 th December, 1857. He took his M.D. Degree from Calcutta Medical College. Formerly he was Principle Emeritus National Medical Institute & Chittaranjan Hospital, Calcutta; President Indian Medical Association, Bengal Branch; Chairman Standing Health Committee ; Calcutta Corporation; Chairman Nursing & Mandatory Examination Board ; Chairman Eden…. committee Nursing Council’s Bengal; Chairman Board Of Directors Universal Drug House Pvt.Ltd. The Marble statue of Dr. Sundari Mohan Das was unveiled by Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, Chief Minister of West Bengal on the 15th January 1956 at this Collage.
Dr. Subhas Mukhopadhaya, a bright son of the Calcutta National Medical Collage, was born on 16th January 1931 and passed MBBS from Calcutta National Medical College. He also obtained Bsc(Hons) in Physiology from Calcutta University and PhD degree from Calcutta University in Reproductive Physiology. He also obtained PhD from Edinburg in Reproductive Enchology . The birth of india’s first test tube baby was announced on 3rd October; 1978 by Dr. Mukhopadhaya and this method was different from that followed by Steptoe & Edwards. He was the pioneer in Assisted Reproductive Technology-IVF-ET. He Died on 19th June 1981.