The Coimbatore Medical College is a state government-run medical college recognized by the Medical Council of India. It is located in the city of Coimbatore, in Tamil Nadu, India. The hospital attached to the college is located near the railway station and harbours departments like Gastroenterology.
The college was established in 1966 after G D Naidu, a scientist of an industrial family of the city donated the 153 acres of land to the Tamil Nadu state government under the Chief Minister K. Kamaraj.
Timeline of the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital:
- 1908 – Foundation stone laid by Lord Ampthill, Governor of Madras
- 14.07.1909 – The hospital was inaugurated by Governor of Madras
- 01.04.1912 – The government of Madras Province took over the hospital administration from the municipality of Coimbatore
- 13.08.1959 – Golden Jubilee celebrations of district headquarters hospital, Coimbatore was inaugurated by his excellency Sri Bishnuram Medhi, Governor of Madras, and presided by the honourable Sri Manickavelu, Minister of Health and Revenue, Madras State
- 1966 – The Coimbatore Medical College was started
- 24.11.1969 – The Directorate of Medical Education took over administration of the hospital and renamed it as Coimbatore Medical College Hospital
- July 2009 – June 2010 – Centenary year of the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital
The college is located on Avinashi road, one of the arterial roads in Coimbatore city and about 5 km from Coimbatore International Airport. The college is just opposite to Coimbatore Institute of Technology and near to The Jenney Club. This part of the city has a concentration of colleges and hospitals.
The college offers Preclinical courses and Elective Postings, the main course being the MBBS.
- Degree Courses: MD General Medicine
- MS Courses: MS General Surgery
- Diploma Courses: DGO, DCh, DA, DRDT
- MCh Courses: MCh Paediatric Surgery
- Para Medical Courses: Diploma in Nursing, Diploma in Pharmacy.
Some of the physicians who have been associated with the institution are:
- D. S. Venugopal – Associate Professor & Associate Vice-Chair, Dept. of Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, U.S.A., Asst.Chief of Medicine, Tennessee Valley Health System, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.
- Palanivelu MCh – surgical gastroenterologist, specializes in laparoscopic surgery.
- T. S. Chandrasekar, Gastroenterologist and Padma Shri recipient, specializes in endoscopy and management of liver disease.
- P. Govindaraj – vascular surgeon
- M. Ramalingam – Urologist & Andrologist, Professor of Urology, PSG hospital, Coimbatore
- V. G. Ramesh – Neurosurgeon at Chennai; formerly Professor of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College, Chennai; Presently Professor & HOD of Neurosurgery, Chettinad Hospital & Research Institute, Chennai.
- S. Boopathy Vijayaraghavan – radiologist and sonologist, Coimbatore.
- N. Murali – Professor of Radiology, CMCH, Coimbatore
- S. K. Thirunavukkarasu – Health IT Consultant, Deputy Director-HMIS Govt of Tamil Nadu,H&FW department, Chief Information Officer for eGCP-Health MMP, Govt of India
- S. Ravikanth MCh SGE – alumnus of the college and a local practitioner in Coimbatore does Advanced Laparoscopy& Gastroenterology Surgical work.
- John Mathews, Consultant Otolaryngologist & Head and Neck Surgeon, Hon. Sr. Lecturer in ENT, University of Birmingham, UK.