MGM Medical College (MGMMC), Indore was established in 1948. Residency surgeons accompanied the European and the native troops who were stationed in the region.The institution became famous in a short span of time and Dr. Impey constructed a building exclusively for female patients.
The medical college is also known as MGMMC, Indore and is one of the oldest and the most prestigious educational institutions of the state.
Mahatama Gandhi Memorial Medical College is an institution of Madhya Pradesh State Government. It is one of the oldest medical colleges of the country with glorious and rich heritage. It is located in Indore – the pious city of Devi Ahilya and the business capital of Madhya Pradesh which is also gaining foothold in the field of education. This college was initially established in 1878 as a medical school known as King Edward Medical School along with the first allopathic dispensary of central India. In July 1948 it was converted into present medical college from 50 students in the first batch. It has reached its present intake of 140 undergraduate (MBBS) and 117 post-graduate (MD/MS/Diploma). Admissions are through Pre Medical and Pre. P.G. Examinations respectively.
Additionally, there is a well equipped College of Dentistry, College of Nursing, School of Nursing. We have a 930 bedded, seven storied fully equipped M.Y. Hospital affiliated to the college which is providing 24 x 7 services. Other ancillary units of the college like Kalyanmal Nursing Home, Maharaja Tukojirao Hospital, Shaskiya Gyarah Panch Trust Cancer Hospital, Mental Hospital and Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya avum Anusandhan Kendra are providing important timely services to the ailing people in and around Indore. Another feather in the cap of the institution was the starting of a school of Physiotherapy course in 1997 wherein Bachelors in Physiotherapy is being conducted with the Master course in the offing.
The staff strength of our institution is approx. 1500. The teaching faculty consists of 240 experienced and devoted teachers and approximately 360 resident doctors and with their help our well equipped departments namely Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, General Medicine, General Surgery, E.N.T., Anesthesiology, Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, T.B.& Chest, Dermatology, Radio-Diagnosis and Radio-therapy are serving the ailing humanity without fail and without break. We have also a model blood bank equipped with ultra modern facilities and equipments. We are committed to provide quality education to our under-graduates, post-graduates and paramedical students, to set trends in medical research and ultimately to provide patients’ care services of unmatched quality.
Recently a very huge new separate O.P.D. block, new mortuary, new casualty, seven practical halls and seven demonstration rooms for various departments have been constructed costing crores of rupees which are being utilized for the welfare of patients and students respectively. Besides this a 200 bedded new hostel for the students has also been erected.
Our campus is self-sufficient in many ways and well maintained. A number of well developed gardens are in the campus and apart from it a bank, hostels having sports and recreation facilities are available. Our institute is situated in the heart of the city, therefore, all kinds of facilities of shopping and amenities are available within five minutes walking distance.
Our institute is also very active in research of various fields of modern medicine, health and medical education. There are a number of different committees for the full fledged development of administration and education of the institution viz. Disciplinary Committee, Anti Ragging Committee, Cultural Committee, Research Review Committee, Scientific Committee, Medical Education Committee etc. etc. A large number of research papers are published by residents and faculty members every year in journals of national and international repute. Frequently a number of awards and fellowships are won by the faculty
Our alumni spread all over the world are leaders in their chosen fields and are living testimony to the quality of education and values imparted to them by their alma-mater.
Progress is an ongoing process. There are always new goals to achieve for which we have ample infrastructure, expert services, higher academic activities and atmosphere and a team of dedicated senior and junior faculty, paramedical staff and nursing personnel who are playing a pivotal role in imparting teaching and training to students and better services to the patients and are also committed for the same. There are still miles to go, there is no time for rest and we are striving hard to better the facilities and services that can be provided to the poor and needy patients.