RCSM GMC, is located at dasara Chowk, Bhausingji Road, Kolhapur district Maharashtra States, India. It was founded in the year 2000 in Kolhapur. The RCSM GMC is affiliated to MUHS, Nasik. The college is recognized buy the M.C.I. New Delhi for medical Education in India.
The medical college provides training to about 600 students in undergraduate medical courses & about go students in OPD graduate courses. Apart form MBBS courses. Primary DNB as well as post diploma DNB course & DMLT, PHD & Nursing courses are also provide in the institute. A nursing school is also run by the institute.
The CPR Hospital has 18 wards with a total of 665 beds and operates with the help of teaching staff VIZ – 10 Professor, 24 Associate professors & —- Assistant professor, 434 nursing staff members & paramedics.
The institute is mainly funded by Government of Maharashtra and render do many service – virtually free at cost — mostly to the under privileged sections of the society. The CPR hospital popularly known as “Thorala Davakhana” since inception caters serviced to people from neighboring districts VIZ sangli, Satara, Konkan area including sindhudurga & Ratnagiri, south Karnataka including Belgaum district apart form Kolhapur district.
All admissions to the under graduate courses are administered centrally by the directorate of medical Education & Research (DMER). The common Entrance test, called MHT-CET is conducted by DMER 15 % of total seats is reserved for All India quota to be filled through all India premedical entrance conducted by the centre.
The first MBBS college building is situated in the outskirts of the city, in Shenda Park. Regular Bus service for all students is provided by the institute at shenda park, there is a beautiful campus of a around 40 acres, which is lush green in the monsoon. The campus has small lake popularly know as “Shenda Lake” which is close to the boys hostel building. The campus as 5 Boys hostels buildings. large sports grounds) Football & cricket) , a mess , Dean’s Bungalow , and very spacious college buildings.
The hospital was originally built in commemoration of the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1875 and was named king Albert Edward Hospital. The Foundation stone was laid by sir. James Fergusson, then Governor of Bombay o 9 march 1877. This was possible the blessings of the regional ruler Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj. This project was completed in 1881. The hospital underwent many changes after Shahu Maharaj returned from England and offered free treatment to every one. In 1946. The hospital renamed Chhatrapati Pramilatai Raje Hospital (CPR) in honor of Chhatrapati Pramilatai Raje, daughter in law of the Royal family of Kolhapur. In the year 2000, the hospital was officially affiliated to the newly established Rajarshee Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj Government Medical College (RCSM GMC) & handed over to medical education department in 2007 from dept. of Health services.