The Thanjavur Medical College Was started in the year 1959,to cater the Health care needs of about 1 crore People in and around Thanjavur District. From that day, if has gradually grown up as a multi-speciality post graduate institution. Thanjavur Medical College has two hospitals namely Govt.Raja Mirasudar and Thanjavur Medical College Hospital.
It shines as a precious jewel in the crown of Thanjavur , the ancients chola’s capital , which is famous for its thousand years old Big temple , which finds a place in world heritage monuments.
Located in a vast landscape of 228 acres , this college provides training for 150 M.B.B.S, 67 Post Graduate students of different Specialties , 60 Pharmacy students and 125 nursing students every year . This institution now admits students for the various certificate courses introduced by Govt.of Tamilnadu for paramedical technicians like theatre Technicians, Anaesthesia Technicians .ECG Technician etc.,
THANJAVUR MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL
The Thanjavur Medical College Hospital was opened in the year 1964. At the time of inception 500 beds were sanctioned for the admission of in patients. Due to increasing need, the bed strength was raised to 678. However 850 to 1000 patients are treated as in patients daily in addition to thousands of out patients.